The Desert Heat Can Be A Vehicle Killer
In the desert, where temperatures can soar during the summer months, it’s essential to take proper care of your vehicle to ensure its optimal performance and prevent breakdowns. Tires, batteries, fluids, coolant, and A/C compressors are all important systems that need summer attention!
Here are some important vehicle maintenance services that are particularly crucial for the summer heat in the desert:
- Cooling System Check: The cooling system, including the radiator, coolant, hoses, and thermostat, should be checked regularly, as extreme heat can put extra stress on the engine. Make sure the coolant level is adequate, and the hoses are in good condition. Consider flushing and refilling the coolant if it hasn’t been done recently.
- Air Conditioning Service: The air conditioning system is crucial for keeping you comfortable during scorching desert summers. Get your A/C system inspected by a qualified technician to ensure it’s functioning properly. Check for any leaks, and have the refrigerant level topped up if needed.
- Battery Inspection: High temperatures can be hard on your vehicle’s battery. Have your battery inspected to check its condition and ensure it has enough charge to withstand the heat. Clean any corrosion from the terminals and make sure they are securely connected.
- Tire Maintenance: The desert heat can cause tires to wear out faster, so regular tire maintenance is crucial. Check the tire pressure regularly and make sure they are properly inflated to the manufacturer’s recommended levels. Also, inspect the tires for any signs of damage or uneven wear and have them rotated and balanced as needed.
- Engine Air Filter Replacement: Dust and debris can be more prevalent in desert environments, so it’s important to check and replace your engine air filter regularly. A clogged air filter can affect your engine’s performance and fuel efficiency, especially in hot conditions.
- Brake Inspection: High temperatures can also affect your vehicle’s brakes. Have your brakes inspected regularly, including checking the brake pads, rotors, and brake fluid. Make sure the brake system is in good condition to ensure optimal braking performance.
- Fluid Checks: Regularly check all fluid levels in your vehicle, including engine oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and windshield washer fluid. Extreme heat can cause fluids to evaporate or degrade more quickly, so keeping them at the proper levels is essential for your vehicle’s performance and reliability.
- Exterior Care: The desert sun can be harsh on your vehicle’s exterior. Regularly wash and wax your vehicle to protect the paint and prevent damage from UV rays. Also, consider using a sunshade or parking your vehicle in the shade to minimize sun exposure.
- Emergency Kit: Being prepared for the unexpected is important in the desert heat. Make sure your vehicle’s emergency kit is well-stocked with essentials such as water, non-perishable food, a first aid kit, a flashlight, a spare tire, and tools for changing a tire.
Manufacturers Support Regular and Seasonal Maintenance
Manufacturers conclude proper vehicle maintenance is crucial for the summer heat in the desert. Regular checks and maintenance of the cooling system, air conditioning system, battery, tires, engine air filter, brakes, fluids, and exterior. Having an emergency kit is an important step to ensure your vehicle performs optimally and stays reliable during the hot desert summer months. Consult your vehicle owner’s manual and seek the assistance of a qualified technician for any specific maintenance requirements for your particular vehicle.
Big G Auto Repair of Henderson, NV has the latest test equipment and trained technicians to service your gas, electric, and hybrid vehicle needs.
Call Today for your Gas, Electric, or Hybrid Appointment. (702) 564-4302
Big G Auto Team